In a Job Interview: What Not to Touch and How to Excel in Body Language

This post considers and offers tips about, In a Job Interview: What Not to Touch and How to Excel in Body Language.

You’ve done it! The job interview you’ve been waiting for is finally here. Your skills are polished, your answers are well-prepared, and you’re ready to shine.

But have you considered the silent language that can speak louder than words?

We’re talking about body language, a crucial element that makes up a staggering 55% of our communication cues. Believe it or not, your gestures, posture, and eye contact can be the difference between landing your dream job or not.

Steer Clear of these Touches:

Face Touching: Consistently touching your face, especially your nose, can make you come across as untrustworthy. The same goes for fiddling with your hair – it’s a distracting move that can hinder a positive impression.

Head or Neck Rubbing: Rubbing your head or neck during an interview can give the impression that you’re bored or disinterested in the conversation. To show enthusiasm, avoid these actions.

Crossed Arms and Legs: While it’s natural to cross your arms or legs when you’re nervous, it can make you appear unapproachable. Instead, maintain an open posture with relaxed shoulders and face your interviewer directly.

Why 55 Is Your Magic Number:

Albert Mehrabian, a renowned psychologist, revealed that words contribute only 7% to communication. The remaining 93% is shared between tone of voice and body language, with body language taking up a whopping 55%.

This 7-38-55 rule emphasizes the importance of conveying the right message through your non-verbal cues.

Creating the Right Impression:

During an interview, your technical preparation accounts for only 7% of your chances of success. The rest depends on your body language and how well you convey your answers.

Posture and Eye Contact:

Sit up straight with your head held high, and maintain passive yet engaging eye contact. Leaning slightly forward when the interviewer speaks shows that you’re attentive and interested.

In a Job Interview: What Not to Touch and How to Excel in Body Language

Smile:

Smile: A genuine smile creates a positive atmosphere and signifies your comfort with the interview process. It’s a subtle way to connect with your interviewer.

Mirroring:

Mirroring: Try mirroring the interviewer’s body language to build rapport. This can foster trust, but remember, subtlety is key – you’re not mimicking, you’re connecting.

Minimal Fidgeting:
Avoid continuous fidgeting, which could be misinterpreted as boredom or impatience. Stay composed, and focus on maintaining a balanced posture.

Nail the Interview:

Remember, an interview isn’t just about showcasing your skills; it’s about demonstrating how well you fit into the company culture. So, while your technical prowess matters, don’t underestimate the power of body language. A firm handshake, dignified posture, and engaging eye contact can leave a lasting positive impression.

Finally, take comfort in knowing that you’re already in a great position. The fact that you’re being interviewed means the recruiter is impressed with your profile. Now, it’s your time to shine with the right blend of words, tone, and body language.

My Interview Coaching

Through my coaching let's ace that interview and land that dream job together. Remember, body language can speak volumes, so let's make sure it's saying all the right things.

Constance Johnson

Constance Johnson

Career Consultant

 I’m here to help. Attend my Ask Me Anything surgery, where you can get answers to your job search queries. I’ll guide you on marketing your skills during an interview, assist in interview preparation, and even help you tackle tough questions.

Pin It on Pinterest